Community Companions provides emotional and practical support for isolated people in the local community.
Community Companions are available to adults in Glossopdale who have difficulty participating in community life or living independently because of disability, poor health or advancing age. Delivered by over 90 volunteers from the local area, the Community Companions service includes:
- Social Companions –provides one-to-one friendship to help people access social, leisure and educational activities, as well as ‘home from hospital’ support.
- Shopping Companions – provides transport and help to access the shops and local markets, and is run as part of the Time Out social group so people can have a chat and a cuppa as well.
- Seated Exercise – this includes transport and a weekly seated exercise class every Wednesday at Bradbury House to help people keep fit in a social setting.
- Driver Companions – the volunteer driver companions will take you in their own cars to medical or similar appointments if you are unable to use public transport or taxis. They will also wait with you and bring you home.
- Friends of Shire Hill – this is a weekly social group held on a Wednesday morning at Shire Hill Hospital. It is designed to help people coming out of hospital and signpost them into a range of services and support once they go home.